The Secret Handshake: Mastering the Politics of the Business Inner Circle
Open Discussion on the Book Written by Kathleen Kelly Reardon
Tuesday evening 04.03.12 at 7
Do you know “The Secret Handshake?” You don’t believe there is such a thing? Hear of anybody getting a significant position because of their fabulous resume or cover letter? Was it really their superb interviewing skills that blew all the competition away? Did they get the real job because they had hidden away keywords in white ink in their application or online documents? Did they get lucky on Twitter Friday or because they just came cheap? Are you getting where and what you want with “proper channels?” Kathleen Kelly Reardon has content that you need to hear if you are playing in the arena today.
Kathleen Kelly Reardon, Ph.D., joins (and in some ways upstages) Niccolo Machiavelli in communicating that it is all politics and networking. Actually Reardon would most probably say that it is politics and more. Without the politics and the advocates you are left to the luck of the draw. Who you know and who they know as well as the quality and mechanics of those relationships is what will propel you. Reardon evidences guilt at Machiavelli’s “the end justifies the means” stance but in a murderously competitive marketplace shrewdness is demanded. Reardon detailed much of this earlier in another book titled “It’s All Politics: Winning in a World Where Hard Work and Talent Aren’t Enough.” Both choke full of excellent content.
This book may be some of the best weaponry and strategy available to you today. “May the odds be ever in your favor.” Don’t mistake anything for a game.
For a SHAKE at Discussion:
- Don’t “talent and hard work” count for anything today?
- What does all this have to do with job searching?
- What does all this have to do with sales or career posturing?
- What does all of this have to do with family, church or social ties?
- What are the “sanctioned rules?” Who decides?
- Can you see it? The hidden agenda?
- Can you see it? The hidden door and staircase?
- How do you gain access to the “inner circle?”
- Think that you are above “politics?”
- Are you a “persuader?” How?
- What makes “true players” different and powerful?
- Just how does one go about “cultivating influence?”
- Can you spot “hierarchies” that aren’t defined on the corporate chart?
- Influencing vs. manipulation? What’s your style?
- Are aspirations better kept hidden or declared? Why?
- What is meant by “political climate control?” Who sets?
“The Secret Handshake“ is like a crash course in Business Psychology 101 . . . Reardon writes crisply and to the point . . . You owe it to yourself to read her book.” —USA Today
Join us, won’t you?
$timulus: An Open Book and Networking Group
Barnes & Noble in the Streets of West Chester
(I-75 Exit 19 Union Centre Blvd., Past The Rave Theater)
9455 Civic Centre Boulevard, West Chester, OH 45069
Every Tuesday evening at 7:00 P.M. (Weather Permitting)
There is no charge for $timulus!!!
Monte at 513.769.6313 or firstname.lastname@example.org