Open Book and Discussion Group on the book:
That Used to Be Us: How America Fell Behind in the World It Invented and How We Can Come Back
The book was written by Tom Friedman and Michael Mandelbaum
Discussion Tuesday evening 09.20.11 at 7
“Does the book have a happy ending?” asked the friends and co-workers of Friedman and Mandelbaum as they worked on this book. The answer to that question still stands to be answered. Just what is holding America back and what needs to be done to “fix” things? Friedman calls the Great Recession not only a “jobless recovery but a recovery-less recovery.” Is there any hope? Sooner or later the bridges will fall and the roads will become impassable, who will get paid to repave them? Anyone think that Cincinnati has some “sewer” issues? Who is working on those?
Can we make America great again? Can any of us get jobs and get PAID in the process? Can we leverage jobs out of the dust and the ruins? Where are all of these mythical “job creators?” Is “education” the key as Thomas L. Friedman says or is that a socialist/communist concept? What “risks” do we need to take in Washington? What “risks” do we need to take in our own communities and lives? One thing is for sure. The world that was “Hot, Flat, and Crowded,” is now also “Hungry, Thirsty and Unstable.” Where do you fit in this entire debacle?
Are you an optimist or a pessimist?
- Are we really all “entrepreneurs” now even if we work within large corporations?”
- Is there any “ingenuity” left to be mined?
- What are the “Pillars of Prosperity?”
- What are we doing correctly that we need to do more of?
- Can we forge jobs out of the reconstruction?
- Do the unemployed want a “Hand Up, or a Handout?”
- What are unemployed Egyptians, Grecians and others doing?
- Is either the “Party of No!” or the “Party of NOPE” helping matters any?
- Do we need a new WPA program of sorts?
- Define what bold “Shock Therapy” measures are needed?”
- What does “Average is over!” mean?
- What does it mean to “Act like an immigrant?”
- What about “devaluation?”
- How about launching yet another illegal war? Trigger productivity and drive?
- Or how about getting out of two illegal wars? Save resources and lives?
- What opportunities have been afforded by terrorism/anti-terrorism efforts?
- Where does “creativity” fit into the solution?
- What additional or new jobs will be created by “global warming?” (If that exists?)
- Is the media a friend or foe in the rebuilding and re-employing of America?
“It makes no sense for China to have a better rail system than us, and Singapore having better airports than us. And we just learned that China now has the fastest supercomputer on Earth-That used to be us.”
— President Barack Obama, November 3, 2010
Following $timulus we will head over to Steak & Shake because THAT IS US!
Join us, won’t you?
$timulus: An Open Book and Networking Group
Barnes & Noble in the Streets of West Chester
(I-75 Exit 19 Union Centre Blvd., Past The Rave Theater)
9455 Civic Centre Boulevard, West Chester, OH 45069
Every Tuesday evening at 7:00 P.M.
There is no charge for $timulus!!!
Monte at 513.769.6313 or email@example.com