Open Book and Discussion Group based on the book:
Mindset: The New Psychology of Success
The book was written by Carol Dweck
Discussion Tuesday evening 08.23.11 at 7
We had a heckler last week at $timulus. He really didn’t want to join the group. But he had plenty to say and comment stomping around the fringe of the circle with arms waving and fingers pointing. His proclamations ranging from, as Lisa S. so wonderfully described it as, “…high drama with doomsday-like prophecies,” but he didn’t want to hear anything much that we had to say. Darian, Craig, Jenny and several others tried to get this gentleman to have a seat and join us but he was mostly interested in venting about his long-term unemployment situation in Michigan and about how “they” need to do something. He had a “Fixed Mindset” as described by Carol Dweck.
What is your “mindset?” Is your “mindset” fixed and static or is it open to growth? It makes all the difference in the world claims the world-renowned Stanford University researcher. The achievement of our personal and professional goals tips between these two settings. But can you change yours? Is being “fixed” fixed at birth or in early childhood? Why do people differ in these settings and who/what set the original settings?
Our discussion this Tuesday evening will be based very loosely around the book “Mindset” by Carol Dweck. Hopefully our heckler will return and sit down with us with a more “growth oriented mindset.” He could benefit much from our group and connectivity with the other groups in our area. Please bring your own “mindset” for participation.
- How much about what you think about you is really true? Why? Who told you so?
- How can “mindset” change your orientation regarding success and failure?
- How can “mindset” affect your effort levels? (Students, job seekers and sales people?)
- Nature may be unchangeable but nurture may just kill you!
- What labels have been applied to you by educators, parents, relatives, friends or frenemies?
- Were the labels you now bear “developed or inflicted?”
- How do “applied labels” impact your ultimate “character?” Perhaps more than you think!
- How does this relate to shyness or extroversion? In which way were you encourage?
- Are your “fixed traits” really so?
- Is your style more “Bobby Knight or John Wooden?”
- How can you nurture and maintain a more “growth oriented mindset?”
- And if you don’t need all of this, what is your “mindset” telling you?
“100% of the shots you don’t take don’t go in.” – Wayne Gretzky
Following $timulus you will find us Mindsitting at Steak & Shake.
Join us, won’t you?
$timulus: An Open Book and Networking Group
Barnes & Noble in the Streets of West Chester
(I-75 Exit 19 Union Centre Blvd., Past The Rave Theater)
9455 Civic Centre Boulevard, West Chester, OH 45069
Every Tuesday evening at 7:00 P.M.
There is no charge for $timulus!!!
Monte at 513.769.6313 or email@example.com