Open Book and Discussion Group based on the books:
Learned Optimism and Flourish
Both books were written by Martin Seligman
Discussion Tuesday Evening 07.05.11 at 7
Could a jolt of optimism bolster your job search or career aspirations? Is it possible to be optimistic in today’s world? Can anyone truly “flourish?” Martin E.P. Seligman says that you can and offers numerous ways to help. He also points out certain times when being a pessimist is the desired strategy.
Two-fer night! We’ll hit on some of the highest points of both “Learned Optimism” and “Flourish” by Martin S. Seligman. Can you learn to be what you aren’t? Is it possible to “Flourish” under the current world conditions? Seligman has spent a career studying what makes people happy, or not, and offers simple and applicable information for these times.
From Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life (CD Audiobook version) we will look at the sticking points of “Dealing with it” and of how to “not give up.”
From Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being we will evaluate what well-being really means to you today. We will also look at Seligman’s commentary on the painful and dangerous issues that lie within the condition known as “learned helplessness.”
With a new format we will be aiming to stop at nine o’clock so that more can partake of open networking and our time spent at Steak & Shake following our time at Barnes & Noble. We will still start at seven o’clock.
Optimistic Discussion Flourishes:
- Can you “learn optimism?”
- What would it look and feel like for you to “Flourish” today? “It’s more than just a job.”
- Just what is “explanatory style” and how does it control your life?
- On a scale of 1-10 where do you “give up” when challenges hit?
- Do you see shades of gray within issues or is it always black and white?
- How aware are you of the inner dialog that constantly runs in your head?
- Do you employ fact-checking against your own assumptions and beliefs?
- What about the impact of consequences?
- Have you ever keep a “diary” or log of the challenges that confront you? Responses?
- Whose word do you take in a paid-per-click world of extremism?
- How do negative thoughts and beliefs hinder action?
- What about “hope?”
- How are self-esteem and optimism tied together?
- Does chemistry play a part? How big a part?
- In the end are you are you able to persevere though problems?
“Habits of thinking need not be forever. One of the most significant findings in psychology in the last twenty years is that individuals can choose the way they think.” – Martin E.P. Seligman
I am optimistic that many of us will end up at Steak & Shake to add a flourish to our evening after we conclude at Barnes & Noble.
Join us, won’t you?
$timulus: An Open Book and Networking Group
Barnes & Noble in the Streets of West Chester
(I-75 Exit 19 Union Centre Blvd., Past The Rave Theater)
9455 Civic Centre Boulevard, West Chester, OH 45069
Every Tuesday evening at 7:00 P.M.
Free! There is no charge for $timulus!!!
Monte at 513.769.6313 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Monte Washburn’s Nonfiction Blog Link: https://montewashburn.wordpress.com/