Open Book and Discussion Group based on the book:
Tell to Win: Connect, Persuade, and Triumph with the Hidden Power of Story
The book was written by Peter Guber
Discussion Tuesday Evening 05.31.11 at 7
First, special thanks to Mr. Daniel Johnson, Jr. for pulling together an audio link with Mr. Simon Sinek, our highlighted author last week. Go Daniel!
Following Simon Sinek personally telling us why we should always “START with WHY” last week we now look to a book by Peter Guber to help us with the HOW of telling of our personal WHY stories. The CEO of Mandalay Entertainment, an executive, entrepreneur, professor, producer/filmmaker and minority owner of the Golden State Warriors, Guber has had his share of ups and downs throughout a long and diverse career.
Mr. Guber is speaking directly to issues that pertain to navigating an interview, connecting with a network, getting a client, closing a sale or even landing a mate. Peter Guber challenges us to use our “God-given gift of the oral narrative to forge strong emotional connections and to propel us forward into our dreams.”
So who are you? What is your story and what is your back story? How do they both affect you? How can you leverage the components and the emotion? Are you able to enrapture others with your story? Is your message a moving and memorable one or bumbling and vague? You must decide if your story is one of overcoming and victory or one of victimhood and defeat. It is your story.
Don’t believe my story on this, read “Tell to Win” yourself.
Discussion TELLings and WINings:
- Tell is such a way as to spark new aspirations
- Tell in such a way as to clearly connect crucial points
- Tell in such a way as to “be in the emotional transportation business”
- Tell so as to engage interviewers, hiring managers, customers, investors, colleagues, students…
- Tell so as to “embed details and facts in a carefully crafted story”
- Tell so as to “weave and align your dreams into goals”
- Tell like the masters- “Gene Simmons, Bill Clinton, Michael Jackson, the Dalai Lama, Arianna Huffington, … and Frank Sinatra, others”
- Tell without “skunking” yourself
- Tell a “never-ending story”
“The ability to tell a purposeful story will be your secret sauce in any situation that calls for you to persuade, convince or manage someone or a group of people to do something.” – Peter Guber
Brief Peter Guber YouTube Video:
We always tell our best stories at Steak & Shake after we conclude at Barnes & Noble.
Join us, won’t you?
$timulus: An Open Book and Networking Group
Barnes & Noble in the Streets of West Chester
(I-75 Exit 19 Union Centre Blvd., Past The Rave Theater)
9455 Civic Centre Boulevard, West Chester, OH 45069
Every Tuesday evening at 7:00 P.M.
There is no charge for $timulus!!!
Monte at 513.769.6313 or firstname.lastname@example.org