Open Book and Discussion Group based on the book:
Is the Internet Changing the Way You Think?: The Net’s Impact on Our Minds and Future
(As say in job searches, careers, relationships, health…)
The book was edited by John Brockman
Tuesday Evening 03.08 at 7
Step away from your computer and put down your digital communications apparatus. The Internet may be working against you in terms of your dearest objectives and aspirations. Yes, it may even be getting in the way of your job search.
Mind you, this is not an anti-web work. It is a collection of short essays from some of the very best minds alive today. The commentaries herald the marvelous and seductive powers of the Internet. They also reveal the potential terrors that lie within the virtual maze. There are real dangers far beyond computer viruses and hacking. The “singularity” may be near, but may not be so dear. Are we “Borging ourselves?” We won’t get totally through this material Tuesday evening but shallowness and superficiality will be part of the discussion. As will debating accuracy and truthfulness issues that are rage.
Editor, John Brockman, Edge.org, posed the title question to 150 of finest contemporary masterminds who weigh in on the topic, or do they? We’ll talk. Just a few are Tim O’ Reilly, Mihaly Csikszenthimalyi, Larry Sanger, Brian Eno, Nicolas Carr, Kevin Kelly, Steven Pinker, Richard Dawkins, Chris Anderson, Nassim Taleb, Alan Alda, Marissa Mayer, Esther Dyson, Matt Ridley, Marti Hearst, and many others.
The short essays, from a diverse spectrum of prominent brainpower present an enthralling panorama of illumination upon the many still dark corners of the Internet. This is a fabulous collection of commentary and conversation. But don’t trust my word- google it!
Thoughts for Discussion:
- Has the Internet helped or hindered your personal job search or career objectives?
- Could the Internet be making you “Google stupid? What does that mean?
- Are you benefiting or suffering from “hive mind?”
- Are your powers of concentration better or worse post Internet?
- What is the role of the Internet as a “Social Amplifier” and how does that relate to you?
- Is Smart technology encouraging stupid questions?
- Do you have any questions that you don’t “Google?”
- Do you even “google” things on Yahoo, Bing, others?
- Just how deep into the subconscious does the Internet reach?
- If something on Wikipedia doesn’t sound just right you check it out where?
- Do Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter or others ever “creep you out?”
- Do Internet-based job searches work same, better or worse than net based love searches?
- Are you being “stalked” by your own web searches?
- How much of your “Internet presence” is available to others? For pay or for free?
- Is the Internet making the world a safer place or just tracking perpetrators more efficiently?
- Okay, we won’t tell anyone else but- how much of your Internet work really just “time suck?”
- A trillion blogs, a trillion experts? Sorted how? Who decides?
- Who are the royalty in the “Digikingdom?” Who holds the keys?
- Is there a “digiterati” that is above the governments?
- What is the permanence and accuracy of “the bookless library?” (Could an “OFF SWITCH be thrown)
- Does the Internet facilitate or encourage “BDT” or “big deep thought?”
- “Quantum information” or “disinformation?”
- Does the Internet level the playing field or stack the deck? For who?
- Would Gutenberg approve?
- Have we become a tribe of hunter-gadgeters?
- Redrawing the boundaries of society on the internet
- What does “Global Mind” really entail? Benefits? Dangers?
- What would Watson say to all of this?
- Are there questions that Google cannot answer?
- Are you already bored stiff just reading this far? (BE HONEST!)
Edge.com Link: http://www.edge.org/q2010/q10_index.html
“Only change is constant.″ — Heraclitus
As always, we continue the conversation at Steak & Shake after we conclude at Barnes & Noble.
Join us, won’t you?
$timulus: An Open Book and Networking Group
Barnes & Noble in the Streets of West Chester
(I-75 Exit 19 Union Centre Blvd., Past The Rave Theater)
9455 Civic Centre Boulevard, West Chester, OH 45069
Every Tuesday evening at 7:00 P.M.
There is NO COST for $timulus!!!
Monte at 513.769.6313 or email@example.com