A Review and Open Discussion on the Book:
The 2020 Workplace: How Innovative Companies Attract, Develop, and Keep Tomorrow’s Employees Today
The book written by Jeanne C. Meister and Karie Willyerd
10.12.10 7 P.M.
There will be a future war for talent in the workplace. Some would argue that it is already waging and that we just don’t have the weapons to compete. Driven by cataclysmic changes on the global scale of career evolution we will be forced to walk further upright or perish. Can we do it? The 2020 Workplace is written from the H/R and training and talent search side of the table and while the writing is not snappy and poignant like Seth Godin or Malcolm Gladwell the revelations are no less shaking. Those that are in job search mode or that hope to be players in the next decade should take very careful notes.
Some will embrace this new era with glee and others will shudder, regardless, it will happen. Meister and Willyerd offer figures and projections could be argued with; yet, it really is splitting hairs as the overall projections still work. I fear, yes, honestly fear that the authors do not realize that much of what they prophesy for 2010 is already bearing on current job seekers. Our war is now.
Jeanne C. Meister and Karie Willyerd are change whisperers, listen!
Discussion points on seeing 20/20 now and in 2020:
- Borg-like assimilation or accelerated humanity?
- Your mobile apparatus is your office be it your cell phone, tablet or notebook
- Your apparatus status and synchronizing with your “digital constituency” will empower you
- Blurring of professional and private life continues, enjoy your “weisure time”
- Leveraging “intelligence augmentation”
- You will elect your management team
- Global collaboration and talent competition will rage
- Accelerated, yea, instant learning is demanded- the curve is now straight up
- Strengths Finder 2020, “Firststriking, Aggressive, Schemer, Hardness, Stealth- seeks position as…”
- “Savvy Über-Connected Corporations will reign,” so will sophisticated wiki-fast consultants
- “Oyayubizoku” (Thumb Tribe or Thumb Culture), eTribes, netClans and iFamilies are the “in crowd”
- “Potential Wild Cards” to prepare for
- Please standby- you are in the queue
- Dragon Speech Recognition 2020- does it work yet???
Please do bring your business cards so that you can network with others as we look to the past with burgers and malts at Steak & Shake.
$timulus: An open book and networking group for job seekers
Barnes & Noble in the Streets of West Chester
(I-75 Exit 19 Union Centre Blvd., Past The Rave Theater)
9455 Civic Centre Boulevard, West Chester, OH 45069
Every Tuesday evening at 7:00 P.M.
There is no charge for $timulus!!!
Monte at 513.769.6313 or firstname.lastname@example.org