Rites of Passage at $100,000 to $1 Million+
A review and discussion of the book written by John Lucht
Tuesday Evening at $timulus Group, 09.14.10 at 7:00 P.M.
Clearly the worst book of the job search that you should still probably allow me to summarize for you. Yes, an attempt to condense all 600+ bloated, engorged and distended pages so as to glean the few precious tips and attitudes that come from a career placement professional stretching over three decades will be made at $timulus this coming Tuesday evening.
Big money job searchers do act differently, think differently and orchestrate their careers in ways widely divergent from most of us. We can learn from them and apply some of those tactics at out levels. Notably, Lucht stresses subtle, though powerful, differences between the traditional “informational interview” and what he calls the “courtesy interview.”
For the most part this is a rehash of a 1988 book that has already been rehashed once in 1993. It is for the most part a swollen business card to drive you to the $350,000 web site that John Lucht funded so that you can sign up for a price. There is one clueless mention of LinkedIn as far as I could find in the section promised to be teeming with new “Internet Tools.”
The book does have a new section listing the well and not-so-well known career sites as well as pages and pages dedicated to the various recruiters that have paid dearly to be included on Lucht’s site- RiteSite.com. Do skip totally the wasted paper pages on mounting a “direct mail campaign” unless you really enjoy licking stamps.
The most benefit from this book will be found by those that intent on using recruiters for their job search.
“Rites” and Wrongs We Will Discuss:
- Why the big money job/career rarely look like searches
- Sign anything very carefully
- Leveraging personal contacts- the people that you already know, and how
- Leveraging networking contacts- those that you don’t know yet, and how
- Reviving that old dusty Rolodex and digging even deeper than ever before
- Face-to-Face anything still TRUMPS .txtng, voice mail or snail mail or e-mail every time
- What is “NFL or Contact Sport Networking?”
- Sleuthing for the “introducers”
- What big money job changers understand about “charity.”
- Using recruiters, paid or not
- What a professional “extoller” can do for you
- The three key aspects of a big money power message look like
- Why you must put the” proof in the pitch”
- Big money resumes do look slightly different
- Is there still a place for the “direct mail” campaign?
- Achievement touting: brevity vs. David Ogilvy “Long Copy”
- Big money knows that the best jobs will always be “hidden” or not yet created
- How to abort the “pregnant pause” from an interviewer
- Standard “capsules” you should prepare to take the pain out of interviews
- What big money knows and does when negotiating
- How to shatter your stereotype
Of celebrity job seekers:
I’ve pretty much finished what I set out to do at Pixar, Apple and Disney.
If you think I could be of benefit to your company, please give me a call.
Please do bring your celebrity business cards so that you can “contact sport network” with others as we make “PASSAGE” to Steak & Shake.
$timulus: An open book and networking group for job seekers
Barnes & Noble in the Streets of West Chester
(I-75 Exit 19 Union Centre Blvd., Past The Rave Theater)
9455 Civic Centre Boulevard, West Chester, OH 45069
Every Tuesday evening at 7:00 P.M.
NEVER A CHARGE!!!
Monte at 513.769.6313 or firstname.lastname@example.org