An Open Book Review and Discussion on the Book:
The A$K: How to Ask Anyone for Any Amount for Any Purpose
(That includes asking for networking meetings, interviews, connections, introductions, the job, the raise, the new title, the creative venture, the special consideration or for anytime that you really need the answer to be “Yes!”)
Written by Laura Fredericks
Tuesday Evening, 07.13.10 at 7:00 P.M.
Are you really good at asking for what you want? Were you taught the healthy and powerful ways of how to do that in school or at home? Could you be much better? If getting a “Yes” to all of your requests were a superpower bequeathed to you, you want it? How would you brandish such a weapon and wield such a mighty power if it were yours? Laura Fredericks polished her art in raising huge amounts of cash primarily for philanthropic purposes, perhaps the hardest form of sales. The Ask is laden with tips, tricks and enchantment useful to anyone having to ask anyone for anything including informational networking meetings, interviews, connections, introductions, asking for the job, for the raise, for the promotion, perhaps even from a position of being down on one knee. And oh yes, why does the “NO” scare us so? Let’s talk this Tuesday evening.
AN$WERS WITHIN The A$K:
- How to apply “The A$K” in hard times
- What you need to give before, and after, you ask
- Explanations of the hesitations we experience when applying “The A$K”
- Understanding exactly what you are asking for before you ask
- Learn the subjective and nuanced aspects of the give and take dynamics
- Team with key partners and construct an “asking” strategy network
- Scripting, staging, and closing “THE A$K”
- Importance of follow-up in “THE A$K”
- The thin line between charming and harming
- Understanding the flavors of “THE A$K” from golf course to the board room
- Differences between asking for the tangible and intangible
- Learn that there are shades of “yes” and “no” and what “maybe” really means
- Where to go from flat-out “no”
“This book is a clear road map for initiating and making the Ask in the not-for-profit and business sectors. As the president of an executive recruitment firm, I see this book as an invaluable resource for planning your career and landing your best job.”
—Gail L. Freeman, president, Freeman Philanthropic Services, New York
Please join our weekly $timulus Group for open discussions of what’s new, relevant and what’s not in the job and entrepreneurial universe. Find out about some of the great books and people that might make a difference. We may be the most fun you’ll have while unemployed!
Steak & Shake as always following:
As always, following group we will swing over to Steak & Shake. Please do bring your business cards so that you can exchange with the other good folks attending.
FREELY A$KING YOU TO JOIN US,
An open book and networking group for job seekers
WHEN/WHERE: We meet every Tuesday night at 7 P.M. at Barnes & Noble in the Streets of West Chester (I-75 Exit 19 Union Centre Blvd., Past The Rave Theater) 9455 Civic Centre Boulevard, West Chester, OH 45069
THE RELAXED APPROACH: Summer attire is welcome! We pull up the easy chairs at Barnes & Noble and add a few more near the Cookbooks or the SciFi area, do an overview of the book(s) of the day and then open up discussion on the talking points. No prior reading or book purchases are ever required. Much of our focus is on social media, personal branding and networking for jobs.
THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR THIS GROUP!
Join us, won’t you?
Open to LinkedIn Invitations!