An Open Book Review and Discussion on the Book:
33 Million People in the Room: How to Create, Influence, and Run a Successful Business with Social Networking (and maybe even get a job)
The book was written by Juliette Powell
Tuesday Evening, 06.29.10 at 7:00 P.M.
Do you have enough business cards? In her new book Juliette proves the point that there are 33 million People in the Room, much more actually. Juliette wants us to understand the curves, slants, and loops of the social media universe and she explains it in an excellent manner. If you can’t or won’t buy this book read all 154 pages while standing in the bookstore!
What does this new level of global connectivity mean to the way we live and relate? The boundaries have certainly changed and the impact is massive. Embrace or reject, you can no longer ignore that the Internet redefines “community” as never before. It is as if all of the White and Yellow Pages Books along with the Who’s Who listings of the world have been duct-taped together and schmoshed into your desktop, laptop, tablet, and smart phone. You don’t want to be unlisted.
Powell Discusses the impact of hiring, firing or losing through death, highly connected board members, making the point that “connected people are hubs of information [with]…enormous impact on both the inner workings of a company and how other firms perceive the company.” Of particular interest is the finding of a study of 30,000 executives in 2,000 firms tracked from 2000-2006, that “when highly connected people die, so to do the important connections between their companies” in the universe that the company operates in.
- The amazing power of social butterflies to be job/career Yenta’s
- How TED (Technology Entertainment Design) went from a closed community of 1500 or so to a viral community of millions
- Important lessons from the well-connected slacker and how he benefits from high connectivity
- New definitions of community and how they will affect you and your family
- Mass and micro collaboration meets smart phone technology
- Why/how sub groups matter
- Perhaps you aren’t partying enough while unemployed (talking simple mathematical strategy here!)
- How Reed’s Law affects your job search
- Building a better cloud connection base and why this is critical
- How death kills connections and why how you might reap (sorry, I couldn’t resist)
- New opportunities in Communication, Production, and Distribution and WHY they don’t get posted on job boards
- Why Juliette Powell and Tara Hunt neither have, nor need, resumes
- Simple networking vs. implicit networking (Friend-collecting vs. true network building)
- Persona sculpting the best “You” possible and just how and why that is important
- The amazing power of becoming and connecting with micro celebrities
- Why exploding online communities demand even more intense F2F cultures
- Cultural/Social capital is the new black card; visibility and reputation are the new currency of the realm
- Lessons from t-shirts, presidential campaigns, and coaxial car speakers with Kevlar and basalt woofer cones
- Critical work that you need to do to leverage this for your job and business purposes
“Reading Juliette Powell’s book is like perusing the secret trade documents of the most connected social butterfly. Upon first meeting Juliette, she immediately grabbed me by the arm and introduced me to the most important person in the room. When you pick up her book, it’s the same experience. She reaches through the pages and gives the reader entry to the halls of power through online networking.”
—Amy Shuster, Editorial Producer, MSNBC
We will work our way over to Steak & Shake following the group as always:
Please do bring your business cards so that you can Powell-Up with the other good folks attending. As always, following group we will swing over to Steak & Shake.
$timulus: an open book and networking group for job seekers
WHEN/WHERE: We meet every Tuesday night at 7 P.M. at Barnes & Noble in the Streets of West Chester (I-75 Exit 19 Union Centre Blvd., Past The Rave Theater) 9455 Civic Centre Boulevard, West Chester, OH 45069
THE RELAXED APPROACH: Summer attire is welcome! We pull up the easy chairs at Barnes & Noble and add a few more near the Cookbooks or the SciFi area, do an overview of the book(s) of the day and then open up discussion on the talking points. No prior reading or book purchases are ever required. Much of our focus is on social media, personal branding and networking for jobs.
THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR THIS GROUP!
Join us, won’t you?
Open to LinkedIn Invitations!